Any way you look at it, these are much better houses. Through smart design and good material selection you’ll find yourself enjoying the little things, the day-to-day bits of home life, more than ever before. You will experience:
You’ll experience a comfortable, even temperature even in the depths of winter. Our houses have no drafts or cold spots, thanks to well-sealed triple-glazed windows, a well-insulated envelope with almost no thermal bridging, and heat recovery ventilators that provide a continuous supply of pre-warmed fresh air.
Healthy indoor air quality
Good indoor air quality is something the whole family will appreciate, especially those with allergies. We install controlled ventilation with heat recovery ventilators, control humidity with balanced ventilation and avoid materials that have high levels of formaldehyde and other toxic off-gassing agents.
We are Canada’s pre-eminent net-zero-energy design-build company. All of our houses include the following energy-conserving features:
- Insulation levels for walls, attic, and basement that are well beyond code minimums:
- Effective wall insulation levels from a minimum of R24 to as high as R70
- Effective Attic insulation levels from R60 to R100
- Effective basement frost wall insulation levels from R32 to R50
- Effective R10 to R24 under the basement floor slab.
- Triple-glazed windows with argon fill and 2 lowE coatings
- Thermal bridging analysis and control.
- Exceptional airtightness- 1 ACH-50 or less
For more information on energy efficiency, please see our section on sustainability.
Our houses stay habitable for days after the power goes off. A single gas fireplace or small wood fireplace is enough to keep the house livable for long stretches of the coldest weather.
Peace and quiet
Our clients often remark on the quietness in their homes. They are cushioned from the ambient hustle and bustle of the outside world by airtight construction, triple-glazed windows, and highly insulated walls.
We try to build you a house you will love so much that you’ll be there for a long, long time. We put lots of care and attention into making sure it will be as trouble free as possible. There’s no reason that a well-built wood-frame house can’t last for hundreds of years.
Here are some of the features we incorporate to make your house last:
- Vented rainscreens—No cladding or wall assembly is perfect. We put a free-draining air space between the exterior cladding and the waterproof layer. This space allows any moisture that does get through the cladding to drain out the bottom, keeping the structure of your house dry and rot free.
- Sensible junctions of different materials—Nothing lasts forever. We detail the exterior so one material can be replaced or renewed easily without damaging the adjacent materials.
- Enhanced airtightness—Leaky air /vapour barriers allow warm, moist air to escape into your outside walls. In winter, this moisture will condense into water that can cause rot. Our airtight houses reduce this risk substantially. Even if a small amount of moisture does get in, the walls can dry safely.
- Better foundations—The foundation is the most important factor in the life of your houses. For years, we’ve been specifying extra rebar that is well beyond building code requirements.
- Better basement frost walls- To prevent damaging moisture build up, our 10” thick frost walls include 4” of rigid styrofoam insulation against the cold concrete.